BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams


From Barnes Noble

Kyra has been Chosen. Prophet Childs received a vision: she is to be the seventh wife of Apostle Hyrum. Kyra is thirteen; her uncle Hyrum is in his sixties. They live on a desert compound, miles from town. Ever since Prophet Childs led the New Cleansing seven years earlier, books have been outlawed, medicine and doctors banned, children harshly disciplined, and young girls saved for older men. Such is life in a polygamist sect, but Kyra has rebellious thoughts and often walks beyond the walls of the compound to feel free for a few minutes. Recently she met the local Bookmobile along the road and has been checking out one book at a time, concealing them under her dress. Reading and playing the piano are two of her favorite things. The other is Joshua, the boy who would Choose her if he could. Suddenly Kyra is faced with an impossible choice—run away and never see her family again or stay and be forced into an unbearable marriage. Kyra's family is loving and close; she adores her sisters and her parents are good to her, even her father's other two wives. The outside world is completely foreign, and if she runs, her family will be banished from the compound. They would lose everything. This book is a highly emotional, terrifying read. It is not measured or objective. Physical abuse, fear, and even murder are constants. It is a girl-in-peril story, and as such, it is impossible to put down and holds tremendous teen appeal. Kyra's fate is uncertain until the very last page and the tension is almost unbearable. It is also a clear example of the power of books and reading. Reviewer: Angela Carstensen


The Chosen One was a fantastic book. I really enjoyed reading it. I was appalled by the way Kyra lived it was horrible!! The author is a very talented writer. Overall the book was great there were a few glitches as in, things I thought were annoying but I really would recommend this to people!


Kyra's life was appalling. I cannot believe that an actual place like this exzists in real life. (FLDS) The abuse toward the children really disgusted me. I cannot believe that no one questioned the way they lived! except for Kyra. I mean, ugh! I just can't imagine myself living in a place like that. Kyra was asked to marry her 60 something year old Uncle. Uncle Hyrum. UGH! he was the absolute worst character, just as bad as the prophet. He was actually fine with marrying his niece. He's 47 years older than her! He actually wanted to KISS her and have CHILDREN with her. He was so disturbing that at times I would tear up from the frustration I had, because I felt like, maybe she will have to marry him!


I loved the part when they go into town, and Kyra sees the way people start reacting toward their clothing. Because at that point I think it sort of sinks in, not totally but sort of sinks in that they were not normal. The way they lived was weird.


I didn't like the part when the father always leaved and never really did anything. He tried but I wasn't sympathetic towards him, because he should've run, if Kyra didn't try to, he would have never got up and done something! took action! he was the man of the house and in that community that means they can leave to town, but he chose not to.


Kyra was of course my favorite character, She was determined, and courageous. She even broke the rules a bunch of times, which was surprising and funny. Especially the little romance she had with Joshua was cute, and I hoped they would be together, because *Spoiler Alert!* you never do find out...




I loved the Chosen Ones

This book is

Worth reading

4 stars

0 comments: