BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Rhymes with Witches By Lauren Myracle


From Barnes and Nobles.com

When the uber-popular clique known as the Bitches asks freshman Jane to be their fourth, they assure her that her life will change forever. There's only one catch: each week Jane must steal something from another girl and put it on the desk of a creepy teacher known as Lurl the Pearl (the girls explain that the only way to gain power is to steal it from another: "For one to rise, another must fall"). Jane thinks it's "an initiation... to prove I'm, like, loyal," until she feels it work and knows some sort of witchcraft is at play. Ultimately, she has to decide if her sudden elite status is worth the cost. The Bitches themselves come across as archetypes (Keisha's responsible, Bitsy's mean and Mary Bryan's sweet), but the feral cats roaming the campus deepen the eerie factor, and Jane's father's desertion of his family and the Bitches' own tragedies add some depth to their characters. Bitsy leads a menacing attack on an unpopular girl that seems to contradict the plot's often-playful spirit, and even Jane's own eventual fall is fairly cruel. Still, readers are likely to get swept away along with Jane as she enjoys gourmet food in the cafeteria, sudden attention from her crush and a birthday party thrown by her classmates (even though it's not her birthday). Ultimately Myracle's (ttyl) novel is an addictive read with a poignant message about the price of popularity. Ages 14-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.

Personally I had mixed feelings about this book. Before the Rae's spooky tale, I found it to be pretty boring and then when it ended I was like, "????... that's it?" It was like I never got to know what happened to any of the characters. It was actually extremely annoying. But the book wasn't all that bad.

The characters were all interesting, and different. The book mostly focuses on Jane and the bitches. The book was very detailed and it was very well written because at some points I could relate to some of the mean things Jane did to her old friends. Especially at the end, I could relate to her, because it seemed that when she actually tried to help someone and go back to the old Jane, it just came to bite her in the butt.

The whole scary folk tale actually scared me! But I like scary things (movies, stories,etc.) I was in the dark awake trying to reach my goal when the folk tale started. It really freaked me out, so I really applaud Lauren Myracle for that.

Personally I feel horrible giving a bad review to my favorite author. I read TTYL as soon as it came out, and it was the first book that I was officially into. I bought and finished the whole series and I want everyone to know that I LOVE LAUREN MYRACLE'S BOOKS! But not this one. This one seemed stereotypical, to people who want to be popular and to the popular people. I have a lot of friends at school, and we are considered to be popular. I'm getting tired of books on the either too ultra fabulous city girl life (the Clique) or the mean girls who are mean to people who are less privileged and I'm sorry but this just seemed to be just another one of those books. The ending really ruined it for me, it was interesting up until then.

For all of these reasons...
This book is...
NOT WORTH READING.

0 comments: